Pageviews past week

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Zechariah 11:10-17


Zechariah is a short book packed with parallels, perception and prophesies.

"And the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter"--the handsome price at which they priced me! So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD to the potter." (Zechariah 11:13 (NIV)

As we prepare to journey through Holy Week next week, this is the perfect place to enter in. Zechariah the prophet was born in exile and returned from Babylon to Judah in 538 B.C. The theme is rebuilding the people and the temple of Judah; the Lord's return. Knowing this, as we read the words set aside for today it begins to come alive.

Leaders, shepherds have been given the charge to care for their flock. Zechariah's words are words of warning; words meant to prepare for the wrath of God. The Notes in Life Application Study Bible tell us the 30 pieces of silver paid to the shepherd was like a slap in the face. Can you see the parallel here? Thirty pieces of silver was the sum Judas received for betraying his Shepherd.

This is raising a question for me today. What price do I put on my Shepherd's head? What amount would I settle for when practicing my betrayal? What earthly possession or practice do I place above my Shepherd?

Read Zechariah 11:10-17 here

Listen to Zechariah 11:10-17 here

No comments: