Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ephesians 4:7-16

Not long ago there was a popular one-liner from the movie, Show Me the Money, where the hero said to the heroine, "You complete me."  They were opposites, with different gifts which complemented each other.

We have all heard the saying, "Variety is the spice of life."  Often we find that opposites attract.  We knew married couples who are polar opposites, yet it works for them.  Their differences complement each other and they are able to learn and grow together because of the differences.  Life as a couple seldom becomes boring when we allow our differences to strengthen us.

Ephesians 4:7 (MSG)  
"But that doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same. Out of the generosity of Christ, each of us is given his own gift." 

God  created us to be in relationships with one another, growing together in wisdom and love.  God also created us to be individual and this individuality adds the spice to life.  If we all thought and acted alike we would soon be bored with one another.  That fact that your gifts are not the same as mine, causes me to need you in my life; and it works both ways.

Our specific gifts are accompanied by our specific passions and desires.  The things in life I am passionate about are tied to my gifts.  Now I might not pursue that passion for some reason, but it exists none the less.  There are times when I need to understand this fact.  For instance, I love administration, I enjoy developing a new concept, spread-sheeting aspects of it, even color-coding where appropriate.  As a child I needed this type of gift so that I could cope with the unknown.  As I grew into an adult God helped me to see this gift could be used in a number of ways.  It is not only a gift for me, but a passion and skill too.

Using our differences to complete one another, is Growing Up in Christ.

Read Ephesians 4:7-16 here

Listen to Ephesians 4:7-16 here

No comments: