Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Romans 8:1-17

The Holy Spirit gives us the power we need to live a Christian life.  After Jesus' death, as He was preparing the followers to go on with Him, He instructed them not to leave Jerusalem but to wait for a gift The Father was sending, The Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:4-5)  This is the same gift who guides us.

Those of us who were raised as Christians, baptized and even schooled in the faith, but still chose to live a life that did not mirror this fact can still take comfort in the Holy Spirit's presence.  The Spirit gives us freedom from the enslaving power of sin.  And we can agree that sin, our sin, does enslave us, right?

Prior to my life lived as child of God, the life I was caught up in had me a prisoner.  I didn't recognize it at the time, but looking back I can see my perpetual 'guilty conscience' was the Holy Spirit convicting me of my sinful ways.  I can still recall the early days of change.  They were painful and powerful at the same time.  I cannot remember what prompted my turn around; I can only recall the struggle that ensued once I made the decision to live better.

The Message Bible says it best for me here: "With the arrival of Jesus, the Messiah, that fateful dilemma is resolved. Those who enter into Christ's being-here-for-us no longer have to live under a continuous, low-lying black cloud. A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death." (Romans 8:1-2)

It is that "Low-lying black cloud," I no longer reside under.  The veil has lifted and I can see the light.  It makes things more comfortable to be able to see the path set before me, and follow it.

Read Romans 8:1-17 here

Listen to Romans 8:1-17 here

No comments: