Pageviews past week

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Story - Chapter 4 - Exodus 5-7

Big Trouble - Bigger God
Moses wanted to get out of the assignment God had given. He wanted to just back away, maybe even return to where he was when God called him. Moses felt inadequate and nowhere near up for the job had God spread out before him. But, God wanted Moses to rely on Him, trusting that He would handle whatever situation arose. This reminds me of a saying, “God doesn’t call the equipped, but equips the called.”

Exodus 5:22-23 (NIV)

“Moses returned to the LORD and said, "O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people? Is this why you sent me? Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has brought trouble upon this people, and you have not rescued your people at all."

During desperate seasons in our lives, don’t we want to turn back the clock? Don’t we find ourselves yearning for yesterday’s problems? I can’t begin to count how many times I felt like a particular trouble was more than I could bear and attempted to pray my way out of it, only to discover the next challenge was even more testing. I would find myself praying for yesterday’s problems to return – I could handle them, after all, I did it before.

Exodus 6:10-12 (NIV)

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go, tell Pharaoh King of Egypt to let the Israelites go out of his country." But Moses said to the LORD, "If the Israelites will not listen to me, why would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips?"

It seems Moses was starting to believe it was all up to him and he was wavering, questioning his ability to speak to Pharaoh. God gave Moses everything he needed to get the job done and He does the same for us. When the task before us is over our head we can be sure that is part of God’s plan. When we must stop and call out to God for help because we are approaching the deep-end, we can be sure this too, is part of God’s plan.

Exodus 7:20 (NIV)

“Moses and Aaron did just as the LORD had commanded. He raised his staff in the presence of Pharaoh and his officials and struck the water of the Nile, and all the water was changed into blood.”

We are not alone and should never try to move forward on our own power. First we need to get some of God’s muscle to back us up. “The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?” (Psalm 27:1)

Read Exodus 5-7 here

Listen to Exodus 5-7 here

No comments: