Pageviews past week

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Story - Chapter 5 - Exodus 19

Favored but not Spoiled
Reading through The Story is a different experience for me. I read my Bible, but this seems to be taking me places I haven't gone before. Even though we aren't reading every single chapter, I am stumbling upon facts and verses I never heard or realized before this journey.

Exodus 19:4-6 (NIV)
“You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. ”

God protected his people; he scooped them up right out of Pharaoh’s land. He brought them out of darkness and led them to a land of plenty. All God asked was for His people to obey Him fully and He promised they would be His treasured possession. But of course, they did not comply.

We have the same offering held out to us. Jesus wants to lead us out of our captivity; He wants to walk with us in light and truth. He only asks for obedience. We have the opportunity to be His favorite as well. The favored child has special privileges, they get the sweetest desserts, the best-est hugs, and lots of love and forgiveness and grace.

Deuteronomy 32:10-11 (NIV)
“In a desert land he found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared for him; he guarded him as the apple of his eye, like an eagle that stirs up its nest and hovers over its young, that spreads its wings to catch them and carries them on its pinions.”

Parents aren’t supposed to have favorites, but it would seem God does. Oh, to be favored by God! Oh, that’s right, we are! Isn't it time we act like we are God’s favorite?


Read Exodus 19 here

Listen to Exodus 19 here

No comments: