Pageviews past week

Thursday, November 1, 2012

All Saints' Day focus - John 10:22-30



Jesus Gives Eternal Life

Eternal Life, what does that mean? Do these words fill you with anticipation, doubt, excitement, fear? Maybe the feelings we experience when we read these words are a bit mixed. I know it causes me to pause and wonder where I fit in the Eternal Life picture. I remember when I was a youngster attending parochial school we heard this phrase often.

There were times I would think of my grandfather who had died and wonder about him. Was he in this place called eternal life? It was explained to us as never ending, going on and on and on and on. Young minds would spin at this thought as we would try to take it in. My older mind still spins at the idea of life never ending, but now I have a new take on it.

All Saint’s Day puts a different spin on a never ending cycle of life. As I was assuring my husband during his illness, that he would soon have a new body and then taking that one step further--dreaming with him about being together again one day in Heaven. This still brings a deep swallow when remembering that time, but it brings a sweet tear of victory as well. I know my words were not just words; they were and are a promise from God.

John 10:27-30 (NIV)
“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

While believers can expect to suffer on earth, to be persecuted or put down, we can fully expect eternal protection and everlasting safety. What picture do the words Eternal Life paint in your minds eye?

Read John 10:22-30 here

Listen to John 10:22-30 here

No comments: