Pageviews past week

Monday, June 9, 2014

A Blessed Welcome Awaits

Psalm 1 (NIV)
Blessed [welcome] is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.

The word 'blessed' has many meanings, like, holy or set apart or sacred.  But for this Psalm I am drawn to the word welcome. This word is powerful in the context of this Psalm. When a new believer takes that first step to faith, renouncing their past and turning from a sinful life to one that would make Jesus proud, they are welcomed into God's family.

You might enjoy how Eugene Peterson puts it in The Message translation: 
How well God must like you— you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon,
you don’t slink along Dead-End Road,
you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College.

Those moments we experience a life-change like this, we feel the difference.  I know I did.  I struggled for a long time to stay on the right path and every time I would veer off course, I felt it in my spirit. I would be longing for the peace to come again.  I wanted to feel the WELCOME in my heart again.

We get older and wiser and our walk with God is a constant, even then, we need to feel that peace, that WELCOME that comes only from walking close to the One who knows us so well and wants a relationship with each and every one of us.

No comments: