Pageviews past week

Sunday, June 8, 2014

PRAY. GIVE. GO.

2 Corinthians 8:10-12 (NIV) And here is my judgment about what is best for you in this matter. Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.

Just recently I began to look at giving in a new light.  It used to be I felt it was an obligation, something I owed God for all He does for me every day.  While there is truth to that, there is so much more to be said.  To be in a position to give back to Him, from my daily wages; to be able to set aside the first 10% and sometimes even more, is a blessing.

Early on in my walk with God, when my faith grew it showed by my behavior.  One major change in how I acted was with my possessions. One Christmas my husband and I decided to share an additional portion of our income with Franklin County Children Services.  That act gave a whole new meaning to giving at Christmas.

There was even a Christmas when we invited a young woman into our house who was a friend of our daughter.  She had no family.  We bought presents and shared our family time with her.  That was huge for us at that time.

I am reading of four principles of giving which we observe as faithful stewards: (1) a willingness to give enthusiastically (2) striving to fulfill our financial commitments; (3) give to others in need, they will, in turn, help you when you are in need; (4) give as a response to Christ, not for anything you can get out of it.

During this past three year season of my life when giving was difficult - it was also the only thing to do.  Now that I am coming out of this time of pruning I am ready to give in ways I never considered before.  What about you?  Is giving to a special mission fund on your list of ways to thank God for all He has done today and will do tomorrow?  Come on, it will be such fun! I am even considering one final mission trip to Honduras.  Want to join me?

2 Corinthians 8:1-15

No comments: