Pageviews past week

Friday, August 14, 2015

Freedom Rings

When the weight of a guilty conscience is dragged around behind us it is as if we were prisoners of our past. Every step we take considers the pull of previous indiscretions. The undertow of shame overwhelms and undermines daily living. It is challenging to live a free and happy life with such baggage in tow.

Where did this burden come from? Why is it so heavy and all-consuming? It is like my lawn mower. I use it to cut my grass, but sometimes when I finally get around to mowing the yard, the grass is so long it takes a lot just to push through it without the engine snubbing out. Then, when I turn the mower on its side there is so much scum and crusty debris attached to the walls of the undercarriage, it is amazing it ever cut anything.

Before Jesus, that was my life. I kept allowing layer after layer of sin to attach to the walls of my heart, that once I decided to change, to embrace Jesus as Savior, it still took years to chisel the shame and guilt away. The slightest reminder of my past caused me to cringe and hide. Until...

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, the, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1)  I learned that the guilt I was feeling was a conviction of the Holy Spirit to clean up my act. I began to feel that yoke of oppression lift as I let go of my past and embraced the future - one day at a time.

Today, when I am asked the reason for my new found hope, I point to the Gospel and share my story.




Galatians 5:1-15

No comments: