Pageviews past week

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Namoi's Mother's Day

This seems the perfect reading for Mother's Day 2016. While Naomi wasn't Ruth's mother, Ruth loved and respected the older woman as though she were.  This love was reciprocated. Ruth stayed with Naomi and they traveled the widowhood road together, caring for each other.

Then Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, “Go back, each of you, to your mother’s home. May the Lord show you kindness, as you have shown kindness to your dead husbands and to me. May the Lord grant that each of you will find rest in the home of another husband.” (Ruth 1:8-9)

We don’t know much of the backstory, and I believe God’s Word intentionally tells us just enough to allow application for our own lives.  Many stories in His Word relate and allow us to apply them to situations in which we find ourselves.

But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. (Ruth 1:16-17)

Naomi lost both of her sons.  Ruth lost her husband. The two found one another and a bond grew to the point that Naomi was as a mother to the younger woman, advising and loving her like a biological mother would. 

Together they stepped into the plan God had for each of their lives.

No comments: