Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 10, 2020

The River of Life


The river of life shifts the visual metaphor slightly. We move from a city, with a focus on streets, buildings, and gates, to a picture of a river and trees. This final chapter of Revelation is harkening back to the first chapters of the Bible – to the story of Eden, the paradise of God. Look for connections between this picture in Rev. 22 and other symbols in the Old Testament. What do these connections tell us about the purposes of God?

STUDY THE SCRIPTURE

Click here to access the reading from Revelation 22:1-6

For more help use this Bible Study method

REFLECTION

River of Life
by Kelsey Bacon

This passage gives me chills. Honestly, I barely know what to write about it because it is so beautiful and so full of hope and joy and eternal glory that it feels like my words can do nothing to make it come to life more than it already is. I feel awe reading this passage. Thoughts and dreams of being in a heaven like this, being with God forever, wash over me as I read it and I can't help but tear up.

I have a distinct memory of being a kid, probably in middle school, and being truly upset about something. I prayed so hard, begging God to show up in my bedroom and comfort me, hug me, tell me everything was going to be okay. I so desperately wanted to see God's face in front of mine, to experience his tangible presence. I have always felt that desire, as I'm sure all of you have. It's our longing, our unsatisfied souls crying out for the only thing that will truly fill us. And to think that one day, in this heavenly place described here, we will be full. We will see God's face, and we won't be crying out in pain but in joy, worshiping our King.

Another thing I love about this passage is the nature imagery. Even though heaven is the New Jerusalem, and we are in a glorious city, there is still a beautiful river and trees and fruit--a new Eden, all things made right. The curse will be broken. No longer will we live under the weight of our sins or the evil of the world, but we will drink the living water and eat fruit from the tree of life, and all will be right. John says that the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations (22:2). How desperately our nations need healing, and how rich and joyous that day will be.

There will be no sun or moon or stars--for the only light we need is from the Lord. The light that we speak about, the light of Jesus that we talk about shining from him and in us, that light will be the actual, literal light that we use to see in heaven because of how brightly the Lamb shines. And we will walk with him in the streets of the city, along the bank of the river--the physical presence of our Jesus. The thought is astonishing, and too much to truly grasp. But as much as my small mind can take hold of it, I hold onto that hope and that joy for our future.

These images, this description of the River of Life and all it brings, truly is redemption. God is redeeming the events of Eden. God is redeeming Jerusalem. God is redeeming the nations, bringing us together in his beautiful light. God is ending the separation that has long plagued us, ending the darkness that has long made us lost, and the new dawn--the never-ending dawn--is upon us.
  
UALC’S CAMPAIGN OF PRAYER

THURSDAY: TRIUMPH
Pray for scientists all over the world seeking antidotes to heal the world of this virus. Pray they would be triumphant quickly.

No comments: