Pageviews past week

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Submit to One Another

DAILY READING

 Ephesians 5:15-21

Discussion Questions

DEVOTION / REFLECTION

Be Filled with the Spirit

by Elaine Pierce

What qualities should be exhibited in the Spirit-filled life? Paul gives us some specific examples in verses 18-21:

  • Be filled with the Spirit.
  • Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.
  • Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord
  • Always give thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of or Lord Jesus Christ.  
(For those of you who aren't gifted with musical abilities, don't despair - these examples aren't all about singing, but I have often wondered if Paul was musical....)

I love that the first way to lead a spirit-filled life is, simply, to be filled with the Spirit. Oh, Lord, make it so! If I start my day walking with you, I will have more opportunities to share your goodness and to give thanks to you for everything.  

Have you taken a few minutes to listen to the song that moved Simon Cowell to tears on "America's Got Talent?" (here is the link - take a few minutes now. Jane Marczewski, who goes by Nightbirde when she sings, composed an original song, "It's OK," and the judges were so moved by her performance that they gave her the Golden Buzzer award, which moves her directly to the championship round. Jane has cancer and her long-term prognosis is not good. However, Jane loves the Lord, and, in her words, "you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore to be happy."

I found her blog online, and I would encourage you to read it. She is honest about her suffering. She is honest about her anger, at times, toward God. But she says in her journal that "I learn a new prayer: thank you. It's a prayer I don't mean yet, but will repeat until I do."

I think that is the essence of our bulleted list above of how to live the spirit-filled life. Be filled with the Spirit. Always give thanks to God the Father for everything. Even the hard things. Don't try to do this on your own power. You will not succeed. But God is ready to receive you - he is waiting with open arms.

PRAYER PRACTICE

Lord, there are times when I don't want to give thanks. I want to yell and scream.  I don't like the hand I'm dealt.  And yet, I come to you again, and I ask you to fill me with the Holy Spirit.  It's only through the spirit that I can draw near to you, and that I can thank you for everything.  I pray this in your name, Amen.  







No comments: